Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week of 10/22/07

-Took a much needed rest on Monday.

-Went to spinning class on Tuesday - week 2 of using the cycling shoes. I'm happy that I finally made the switch and my legs feel like they are getting a more intense workout.

-Went to abs class on Wednesday with stretching afterwards, but no weights - felt that I needed to give my body a rest

-For the past 2 weeks since I've incorporated abs class/weights and spinning into my weekly routine, my body feels more "wiped out" than usual. I don't feel fatigued or sluggish, just tired (which could be a good thing). I guess I'm just getting used to the added cross training that I haven't had in a while. However, I do feel more efficient in my running since I've added the additional cross training.

-I ran 6 miles with the group run on Thursday. While running with JM and AK, we definitely seemed to pick up the pace during the run at about 8:40/mile. While my arms and legs were a bit tired, my breathing was fine and felt good to speed up a little and pick up the pace.

-Off on Friday

-On Saturday, I wanted to give my joints a break so I ran a 5+ mile run on the dirt paths as well as the road. I felt great and seemed to be going at a good pace. Looking forward to the Poland Spring race tomorrow morning.

-On Sunday, it was a great day for the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff 5M. It was a crisp morning in the low 50's and sunny outside. I'm not sure if it was the weather, cross training, or decreased miles but I was able to run a great race today. On the walk over, my legs felt a little sore so I just told myself not to go out to fast and see how I feel as the race progresses. If I feel good, then pick up the pace. It was pretty easy to take the first mile slow since I was in the middle of a huge pack for the first mile and I ended up running an 8:45. No problem. I wouldn't have minded if today was just a leisurely jog. However, the pack opened up a bit and I was able to pick up the pace and I checked my watch after mile 2 and saw that I ran a 7:43. At that point, my legs were loosening up and my breathing was fine so I kept up the pace I was running. For the remaining three miles, I physically felt great and it seemed that I was gliding along the course with minimal effort. I ran the last three miles in 7:32, 7:17, and 7:06. Overall I very happy with my race, as well as how I felt throughout, and I was happy to see my times decreasing over the last 3 miles. Good luck to all marathoners next weekend!

1 comment:

runner26 said...

A great week overall! I am jealous you get to run with JM and AK. I miss them! Of course, I should probably get myself to some of those group runs, huh...
and nice race!!