Monday, September 10, 2007

Finally Made It Downtown

I've been saying to myself for a very long time that I have to mix up my running routes and try to do some runs outside of Central Park where I do probably 95% of my runs. Today was the day. Due to the lure of homemade ice cream at the end of the run in Brooklyn, I finally made it to my first downtown Flyer run and I was glad that I made the trip (it's easier than I thought to get down there - the 4/5 to Union Square and then the L to 14th and 8th). There was a group of about 9 or 10 of us. We ended up running about 7 miles at a pretty relaxing pace. The route took us to the Westside Running/Bike path. The views on the water are pretty spectacular at night. We ran all the way down the west side, through Battery Park, past the Staten Island Ferry, up towards Fulton street, and then wiggling through a few streets to cross the Brooklyn Bridge - not the usual downtown run but fun nonetheless. As promised, we met JM in Brooklyn headed over to the ice cream shop and it did not disappoint. I ended up getting a cup of "muddy pig" which is chocolate ice cream with crushed M&Ms and chocolate chips - yum, yum.

It was nice to get out of Central Park for a change. I may have to incorporate the downtown run into my usual schedule - at least once a month.

3 comments:

runner26 said...

I LOVE Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory!! I will miss it dearly. There's nothing like walking over the B. Bridge (typically after a summer half-marathon) to get 2 scoops of the stuff (chocolate and vanilla--vanilla on top, of course). How is JM??

jb24 said...

JM looks to be in higher spirits. She worked out at the gym before meeting us and seems to be at peace.

How do I get my picture to show up when I make a comment?

Trakmaniak said...

GLAD YOU MADE IT DOWNTOWN!!!

Unlike the usual regular runs, with the ice cream and brooklyn bridge, it was an amazing run. Muddy Pig was amazin' as were you, heating it up.

Try out the Piers next time around and that will give you the nice ocean breeze & the gorgeous sunset...glad your joining us...