Sunday, September 16, 2007

NYRR Long Training Run - 11 miles

With the Queens Half Marathon coming up next week, I wanted to get in one last long run before the race. The NYRR Long Training Run was on Saturday morning so I had the perfect opportunity to get in the miles. I ended up running 11 miles at the 9:30 pace and it was a good choice for me. While I wanted to get in the distance, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't too taxed before the race next week. After doing several LTRs in the past, I found that doing a 9:30 pace allows me to run at a conversational and very controlled pace. I'm not struggling with my breathing and body doesn't start to hurt until after around 16 miles - just soreness, not really pain. I've tried the 9:00 minute pace group in the past and it is a little too fast for me over the long haul. While I can keep it up for 6 or 11 miles, it gets to be more of a struggle after that.

Our group was able to consistently stay on pace mile after mile and we were able to go on "feel" after only a couple of miles. We even knew right away if we were going to fast or too slow even by only a few seconds. If I can only learn to do this in a race! Thanks again to AK - we've paced several LTRs together and we always have a great time and the minutes and miles seem to just fly by.

I've found that the LTR is one of the best ways to get in a long run if you are training for a race. You have tons of people to run and talk with, you are able to run at a consistent and controlled pace (which I have had lots of trouble with in the past), there's Gatorade, power gels, bagels and fruit waiting for you after each loop - what's not to like. It was great to see all of the Flyers out there. The LTR gave me a good mental boost going into next week and it was great to do 11 miles and feel very good mentally and physically afterwards.

In the technology department, I'm excited to finally join the DVR universe.

2 comments:

nyflygirl said...

how has being a part of the DVR universe been so far?

(i've been debating on and off for the last 5 months whether or not to join since my VCR is busted!)

jb24 said...

I've only had DVR for a few days but I can see how people say how great it is. I'm taping everything now! I made a deal with myself, I'll get DVR once I canceled HBO (I wasn't really watching much on it besides Entourage and Bill Maher)