Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thyroid Blog Link

Since I use this blog strictly for running, I did not write about my thyroid issues except when they affected my training. However, as I was going through the treatment process over the last several months, I found it practical and somewhat therapuetic to write down what was happening. I wanted to have a personal account of my diagnosis and treatment, but didn't feel the need to make it public. I didn't want people to worry unnecessarily. Now that the process is over for the time being (with good news - scans came back looking good, no spread and now just need to go for follow ups and be monitored), I transfered the information from a Word document to a blog form to make it easier for me to navigate down the road.

http://bulgingneck.blogspot.com/

It is rather long, so I don't expect most people to read through it. However, I know how much easier it is to go through an ordeal with some knowledge of what to expect, so I am hoping that this blog will help out someone else going through the same thing. Therefore, if any one you know of going through a similar situation, please feel free to pass on the link.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you posted your personal story for others to read. I am like you, I try to keep my running blog about running and not put too much personal stuff in it. However, I also know that sometimes events that take place in your life are worth sharing.

Almost 3 years ago to the day my nephew passed away. He was born premature and had a few complications along the way, NEC and double outlet right ventricle. But, he fought a great battle for 11 weeks. As you could imagine it was an emotional time for my whole family, especially my sister and her husband. The day of Christopher's funeral my sister and I knew we wanted to do something to help other families. There are just too many babies like him and too many families like ours who experience this. A month later we formed The Christopher Joseph Concha Foundation. Over the last 3 years we have met incredible people and have really grown. Every now and then we will receive a message from a parent telling us how much our support has meant to them and how they were able to relate to Christopher's story.

Sometimes people just need to know that somebody else has felt the same way they do.

jb24 said...

D10 - Thanks so much for your comments and sharing your own experiences - I really appreciate it. I think you are absolutely right. It helps for people to know that others have been in situations just like theirs. Creating a foundation for your nephew was an incredible thing to do. It helps you deal with your loss in a positive way and helps others at the same time.

Susan "Hypothyroidism Treatment" Adams said...

People will follow your blog when you're going to blog your personal experiences and struggles. And this would be the beginning of anything :)