Monday, July 21, 2008

No End to the Heat - Week of July 14th

Unfortunately, there wasn't a respite to the heat this week and getting in the mileage was going to take a little more planning than usual. This is the problem with summer running. There is always a stretch of a few weeks in which the heat doesn't relent. You want to get in your miles but you don't want to bake in the heat at the same time. While running early in the morning or late at night does provide some relief, it is still very tough.

I wanted to keep my momentum going and get in another good 20 mile week which I was happy to say I accomplished. I used the beginning of the week to get in my weights and spinning, while taking a day off on Monday. The Thursday group run was a scorcher and I think scared off the regulars since there was only three of us there. However, it allowed me to get in a "tempo" type of run and me, JG, and LL were able to run at about an 8:41 clip. I was busy on Friday night, and I am usually not able to get up early in the morning by myself, so I was forced to run during the peak "heat" part of the day starting at 3PM right after work. I ran about 6.6 miles but made sure to get in a bunch of water breaks and run at a slower pace than usual - the miles were more important than the time (approx a 9:07 pace). I relaxed a bit at the beach on Saturday and then was forced to get in my long run on Sunday. The weather report was not looking good. Accuweather had the temperature in the 90's all day long and a "real feel" of over 100 degrees. Therefore, I decided to wait as long as possible and waited until 7:30PM to start my run. I ran a combination of the bridle path (6.6 path used during GW and NH marathon training run a few weeks ago) and reservoir and was able to get in 8.2 miles.

Other than feeling hot and sweaty during the runs, my body actually felt pretty good. No real feeling of fatigue and my breathing was relatively calm and consistent - no huffing and puffing. It looks like my recovery mileage build up is coming along as I had hoped and I am hoping it will continue.

For the week: Mon - off, Tues - weights, Wed - spinning, Thurs - 6 miles, Fri - 6.6 miles, Sat - off, Sun - 8.2 miles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. I am feeling the heat and humidity too. We just have to make through August. How did you pull off a 3pm run?

You are definitley back! Your slow pace was a 9:07?

jb24 said...

Running in the middle of the day wasn't easy and was something I was hoping to avoid. At that time of the day, you need to just take it very easy and stop for water breaks whenever you can. Summer is tough for us runners.