Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Light Running - Week of 1/28/08

Due to several factors (my continuing jazz class on Wednesdays, a doctor's appointment on Weds and Saturday, the Millrose Games on Friday, etc.), this was a bit of a light running week and was the first week since November that I didn't incorporate a long run. I was only able to run two days, in addition to my spinning class. I guess this isn't too bad since I just ran the half marathon the week before, so I'll give myself a free pass. I just want to make sure that I jump back into my usual schedule starting this week, including adding back my longer run. I don't want a one week break in my routine to turn into two or three weeks (which is very easy to do).

Also, I need to get back on the horse regarding my leg/glute strengthening exercises and additonal stretching. I usually do those exercises after abs class, but I have not been able to make one over the past three weeks and therefore my lower half is suffering. My quads and hamstrings are feeling a bit tighter and uncomfortable than usual, so I have to make time to concentrate on those areas even if I am not at abs class. Maybe a massage will be in my future to work out a couple kinks. My last one was at the end of July. I figure that having one every 6 months or so could definitely be useful.

Now that the Manhattan Half Marathon is over, I need another half to keep me motivated doing my long weekly runs. So, I signed up for the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon at the end of April to keep me focused. Hopefully, I'll be able to get others to come with me. I ran it a couple of years ago and it is a fun course that is well organized. Plus the shirt is usually very cool.

For the past week:

Mon - off, Tues - spinning, Weds - off, Thurs - 6 miles, Fri - off, Sat - off, Sun - 6 miles

CONGRATS TO THE GIANTS - SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

4 comments:

nyflygirl said...

Is that the half that used to be the Runners World half? If I knew I'd be up to a half marathon by that time, I'd be in...but I think I may have to settle for 3.1 less miles and one more week (thinking of doing Broad Street.)

Congrats again on your award-well deserved! (where's your gala writeup? ;-) )

Anonymous said...

First, congratulations on the Giants win, it was well deserved, they were the better team on Sunday. I hear you you about incorporating more stretching especially lower body. I have been slacking big time and my legs are paying for it. Anyway, hope you are enjoying your jazz class and have a great long run!

jb24 said...

NYFly - Yes, this is the one that I ran a couple years ago when it was called the Runner's World Half. RW is no longer a sponsor so the name was changed. It is a fun course and was my PR for the half until the NYC Half a couple months later (in 2006). Thanks for the congrats - I was excited and suprised to get the award. If anyone is looking for a Gala wrap up, I'll direct them to your blog.

D10 - Thanks about the Giants. I can't believe they pulled it out and ended the Pats undefeated season. The jazz class has a few more weeks to go.

Trakmaniak said...

Whhaooo...go Giants! Sounds like a good half...sorry I can not join you...maybe next year? since you speak so higly of it...and maybe you'll be faster than ever...since you posted your best half there last time...