Monday, November 5, 2007

The Electricity of Marathon Weekend

Nothing beats marathon Sunday in NYC. The only thing that can beat it is having the Olympic Marathon Trials in the same weekend, which is what happened this year. Since I wasn't running the marathon, I was excited to volunteer for both races and be able to cheer on the elite athletes and my friends running the marathon from the best seats in the house - right on the course.

At the Trials, Ryan Hall blew by the elite field at around mile 16 or 17 and looked as good as anyone I have ever seen finishing a marathon. He looked relaxed, pumping up the crowd, and was just cruising at a speed which I will never experience in my life. He looked amazing! Good luck to Ryan Hall, Ritz, and Brian Sell in Bejiing. I'll be cheering for you guys. The euphoria of Ryan Hall's race was countered with the passing of Ryan Shay during the race. It's a tradegy to see that happen to such a young guy and elite athlete. Ryan was in the hearts of everyone there that day.

After helping out with Trials, I was pumped to be one of many Flyers manning the Power Gel Station at mile 18. Marathon Sunday is always electric in the city and it did not disappoint. The weather was almost perfect for running - cool/chilly and sunny. The streets were filled with people cheering for friends and strangers alike. It's a feeling you can't understand unless you are there. Bands and music playing, hi-fiving, lifelong dreams being fulfilled - it's just awesome. I love it. Besides the fun of helping out, it's great to see all of your friends running up close and being able to cheer them on. They all looked great.

Congrats to all who competed yesterday!

Otherwise, it was kind of a light running week. I found my way to abs on Monday and spinning on Tuesday while running 5 miles on Weds, and 5 miles on Friday. With the pasta dinner on Thursday and the events this weekend, it was a little tough to squeeze in some miles. No worries though - one week isn't going to hurt at all.

2 comments:

The Laminator said...

Thanks for the congratulations, and I totally agree...it was a great day for a marathon and the crowd support was amazing. It was the most amazing day to be a New Yorker.

runner26 said...

Isn't it crazy how we all truly LOVE marathon Sunday?!? Running or not, it's an indescribable feeling--you summed it up nicely in this post.