Sunday, May 22, 2011

PR in the Brooklyn Half Marathon - 5/21/11

First PR of the 2011 season and my first half marathon PR in 2 years since the Long Branch Marathon in New Jersey on 5/2009.

I wasn't going into the race with the intention of PRing (merely trying to put in a strong 1:40 or 1:41 effort) since I haven't really been training, except for my usual 10 mile run each week, but it was a very nice surprise to come back with one. Even better for me, this was done without the help of a pace group, which I have come to rely on to carry me to a PR. This was done all by self pacing, which to me is just as good of an accomplishment as the PR itself. I went out a little bit faster than I wanted to and had to slow myself down alot in the beginning. But the shade and cool temps of the two Prospect Park loops allowed me to keep up a strong pace without getting too hot or fatigued. Once I left the Park, I new that the race would get easier with relatively flat roads ahead, which I used to my advantage. I realized at about mile 10 or so that I had a legitimate shot for a PR if I get up the strong pace that I had for the previous several miles. I gave a big push once the boardwalk came into site, and then gave maximum effort for the nearly 1.1 miles left on the boardwalk. I squeaked by with a PR of 13 seconds!

Mile 1 - 7:27
Mile 2 - 7:44
Mile 3 - 7:34
Mile 4 - 7:20
Mile 5 - 7:44
Mile 6 - 7:32
Mile 7 - 7:17
Mile 8 - 7:14
Mile 9 - 7:26
Mile 10 - 7:26
Mile 11 - 7:21
Mile 12 - 7:26
Last 1.1 miles - 8:28 (6:53 pace according to Garmin distance of 1.23 miles)

Overall time: 1:38:06
Overall pace: 7:29 min/mile

This half marathon, as well as my other weekly runs and races, has shown me that my pace has gotten faster since my marathons last year. I guess that is what training for a whole year and PRing can do for your body and your confidence. It has been hard to gather up the motivation since my marathon to go out and run but I have been getting out there three days a week, including one strength day in the gym. My work commute tires me out and the lack of consistent running partners makes it tougher to go outside and give a strong effort every time.

However, I see that my regular Central Park 6 mile pace has dropped so that I consistently run a sub 48 minute (7:55-8:00 min/mile) pace almost every time, and my 10 mile pace has dropped to around an 8:05-8:10 pace. And most of the time these are solitary runs without the benefit of a partner or group. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to drive down my times. I was even afraid that by attempting to run without my orthotics would adversely affecting my running and cause me to have a lengthy transition period which hasn't happened so far. Running in my New Balance 860s without orthotics has been good. I don't feel any pain in my feet, just some strain in my hips and glutes which I have been working on more during my strength days in the gym.

So, let's see what the rest of the year brings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have really improved, but I knew you had consistent speedy times in you! While you may be lacking running partners, it seems like running solo may have helped you with running faster times cause you are not running to somebody else's pace. However, if you are in need of running groups and people to run with I hear NC has a great running community;o)

Awesome job on the PR!!

The Laminator said...

Congrats on a PR and an amazing race! If you can run that fast over some gnarly hills in Prospect Park with 90+% humidity, I wonder what you can do when the terrain is much flatter and the weather a little friendlier!

I think more PRs are definitely in store for you this summer!