Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Heavy Lifting is Over...Time to Taper

Last week was the last "mileage" week on the schedule before the taper began yesterday. You always get a weird feeling going into the taper. I've been used to consulting with my schedule and getting in my long runs (crossing them off each week) and now I'm just supposed to sit back and wait for the marathon to happen. I wish I can fast forward to the big day and not spend the next two weeks over thinking things too much. I've put in the necessary training and I feel that I am ready for the challenge ahead. Although it will be easier said than done, the next couple weeks will be spent figuring out a strategy, trying to eat/drink the right things, and getting in some 6 mile runs to keep my mind and legs busy.

After doing my final 20 miler last week, my long run for this week was a step down of "only" 15 miles. I was excited for the fact that this was going to be my last long run. This was it. Just power through this one and then the heavy lifting on the schedule would be over. I couldn't find someone to run with so I knew that I would have to get through this last one on my own. This would make things a bit tougher, since I always run and feel better with others, but I had to get push through it. I didn't get started until later in the day, but this allowed me to get a meal in beforehand and make sure that I was fueled up and ready to go. I took a deep breath, pressed the start button on my Garmin, and began. I decided to break up my usual run just a bit by starting on the Reservoir. I don't like doing multiple loops if I don't have to but I wanted to give my legs a little bit of a break and allow them to pound on a slightly softer surface for a few miles. Therefore, I went round and round for 3 loops and approximately 5 miles before venturing out on my usual run going through the Park and then up and down the Westside Highway for a total of 10 miles. It wasn't too exciting of a run. It was one that I have done many, many times and I was just looking to get it over with. I didn't feel great during the run, but not bad either. It was a bit odd. I didn't really feel a sense of relief or weight being lifted once it was over. I guess it showed how steady and workmanlike my training has been. It felt like just another run. The total time for the 15 mile run was 2:08:23 for an average pace of 8:33.

Rather than just waiting around for the marathon to creep up on me, I decided that I needed some inspiration and excitement to hold me over and I went up to Boston to watch the marathon. It was kind of an impromptu trip but one that was glad I made. The weather was supposed to be great for running, as well as spectating, and I wanted to cheer on my all of my teammates. I had such a great time and it was cool to be part of the marathon as a spectator. No worries about waking up early. No worries about whether or not I trained enough (that will come later). I was there just to have fun and give my support. I got to partake in the pre-marathon pasta dinner with everyone and cheer on/hi-five all the runners from the Flyer Cheering Zone at mile 17. It was a blast to see everyone I know looking great and soaking up the experience. It was just the boost I needed going into the taper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a machine!!! Very cool about taking the trip to Boston. I am sure that will help keep you pumped for NJ!

Elik said...

Read your NJ Marathon report and wanted to know if I could ask you some questions. If so, can you email me at elik_hirsch@hotmail.com?

Thanks