Sunday, April 4, 2010

4 Weeks to Go - 13.1 Marathon Series

This Saturday brought the inaugural 13.1 Marathon Series taking place in Flushing, Queens. Unfortunately, this meant that I would be missing the Scotland 10K (which I've run nearly every year I've been in NYC), but this race gave me the chance to run on a different course and allowed me to get in a race at the Half Marathon distance before next month. This would be the only chance I had to go all out for a Half without being too close to the marathon.

It was pretty much a perfect weather day for a run. Bright and sunny and relatively cool at the start of the race. The majority of it took place during many loops and configurations, both big and small, in Fresh Meadows Park passing some cool landmarks such as CitiField and the National Tennis Center and Arthur Ashe Stadium.

I have only 4 weeks left to go until the marathon and I was looking to use this Half as a test to see how I was holding up. My training was going well so far, so I knew that there was a chance to go for a PR knowing that this would be my only shot at racing a half marathon during my entire training cycle. Even though I was feeling relatively good so far, I did realize that I was 3 months into training and my body was starting to feel some of the effects- feeling sluggish for a couple days after long runs, slightly longer recovery times, and sore muscles. Secretly, I was trying to go for a PR, but I would not be disappointed if I did not get it knowing that I had a bigger goal in mind. The result was pretty good all around - while I did not PR for a Half Marathon race, I did run a faster overall pace during this race than I did when I PR'd at Long Branch last year. I ran an overall race time of 1:39:19 (about a minute behind Long Branch), but according to my Garmin I ran a 7:27 pace for a total distance of 13.34 miles (I ran Long Branch at a pace of 7:30). I am not one of those people who look at their Garmin as gospel and say that the course was measured long and they really got a PR after all - the course is measured correctly for a half marathon, but I just ran a little longer than the course dictates. Either way, this race let me know that things are going well with less than a month to go before the big day.

While the race was relatively flat, there were a few bridges that we went over several times which added some inclines to the the course. This wasn't a "walk in the park." The bridges, although small, got tougher later in the race and the fact that there was very little shade on the course allowed the sun to beat down on you for the last 6 or 7 miles. This was my first race in which I was using my Garmin to help pace me. I paced myself pretty well during the Manhattan Half in January without a Garmin, so I was hoping I would do better now that I had the Garmin helping me out. A PR pace would be slightly under 7:30 per mile. As usual, I got a little bit carried away during the first two miles. I was standing toward the front of the pack at the start and I got sucked in right away and went out way too fast - going at a 7:20 pace for both miles 1 and 2. I knew if I wanted to survive the race feeling good, let alone getting a PR, I had to slow down. The plan was to slowly come down in pace over the next mile or two and then stabilize at around 7:35-7:40 and not go above 7:40 if possible. I have been able to do negative splits during my last several half marathons and didn't want to throw away that possibility in this race. It feels alot better feeling strong at the end and making up time, than going out too fast in the beginning and struggling to the finish. I was able to recover a bit after those first miles and calm myself down. My pace slowed down by several seconds in mile 3 and 4, and except for a dip to 7:20 in mile 5, I was able to achieve a more even pace between approximately 7:30 and 7:40 for the remainder of the race. The last 1.1 miles were my fastest of the entire race, as I like it. You don't want to feel like you were too conservative and left too much in the tank, but I'd rather pick it up at the end than struggle considerably. The only thing I ask the race directors to do next time is to have better signage at the end of the race. After passing mile 12 and running on a straightaway past the USTA, everyone can see the finishing banner in the distance fast approaching. As everybody is picking up their pace and getting more and more excited to see the finish line, they tell you to make a left right before you get there. Now deflated, you see a huge traffic circle in your sights that you have to run around before reaching the end.

I was extremely excited to see the pace that I was able to achieve on my own, and even more proud of the fact that I was able to adjust my plan and pace in the middle of the race. This run wasn't easy but it showed me that my pacing abilities and mental strength during a race are getting better. But, as in other races, I can get too carried away at the beginning and go too fast out of the gate. Even yesterday, I knew I was going too fast but wasn't able to slow down until 3 or 4 miles into the race where I chanced ruining my entire race by tiring out too quickly. The pace group is there to force you to calm down and leave the thinking to someone else for a while. I need to keep this in mind come marathon time if I want to reach my goal.

I took off the Auto Lap on my Garmin, and these are the pace and distance measurements at each of the mile markers on the course:

Split Distance Avg Pace
1 1.00 7:20
2 1.00 7:20
3 1.02 7:26
4 1.01 7:27
5 1.03 7:21
6 1.08 7:37
7 1.01 7:40
8 1.01 7:32
9 1.02 7:27
10 1.00 7:35
11 1.00 7:34
12 0.99 7:38
1.1 mi
1.17 6:50
Total 13.34 7:26

Total race time: 1:39:19 ; Overall race pace: 7:34
Total distance run: 13.34 miles; Overall distance pace: 7:27
20/158 in my age group ; 132/2103 overall

Course Map:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28841316?sms_ss=email

2 comments:

runner26 said...

nice race! and great job on the pacing!

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job!! You are going to be so ready for the marathon. Great job with the pacing. I am sure you'll have all the beginning kinks worked out come marathon time.

Love the new profile picture too!!