Sunday, October 11, 2009

Staten Island Half Marathon - 10/11/09

Here are the notes I wrote down right after the race, but haven't have the motivation to put it into a full post yet:

Total time: 1:38:44; Overall pace: 7:32
Second fastest half marathon time (only about 20 seconds behind the Long Branch Half in May 2009 when I had the comfort of a pace group)
Second time I've gone under 1:39
Three of my half marathon times in 2009 have been 1:40 or better

I ran a great race here last year and had another one today. The weather was perfect for running - in the 50s and sunny
I had a goal of running under 1:43 - I was running about a 7:45 pace for the first five miles and felt a little bit strained, but I got alot more energy during the turnaround miles in which I was able to see other runners in both directions. After hitting a 7:12 pace at mile 6, I started to feel good and decided to pick up the pace. I felt really good for the next two miles when seeing the runners in the other direction There were several hills coming up that I knew about from last year and slowed down a little bit to conserve my energy. Except for mile 8 which I ran a 7:54, my pace was definitely quicker than the first half and my goal when from a sub 1:43 to going under 1:40.

Several big thoughts from the race: After the Long Branch Half when I blew by my PR, I relied on a pace group and thought that I wouldn't be able to approach the 1:38 time again running by myself without a group. This race showed me that by going out at a faster pace and adjusting throughout, I was proud to do this on my own

Besides running my three fastest times so far in 2009, even better was how I feel after the race. Although tired, I feel good, I'm not "wiped" out. While I am a little bummed that I am not doing a marathon this year, due to the fact that my running has significantly improved, there is a big part of me that knows that probably the big reason I am running well and was able to improve my times in 2009 was because I am not putting my body through the strain of training but rather keeping to a comfortable schedule of a long run every week (since February) and running about 25 miles per week. This year so far has given me the confidence that I can get a lot faster and still feel good and strong while doing it.

My half plateau has come down a lot this year. In 2008 and the beginning of 2009, I felt that I had a good chance of running a 1:45 or better each time out. Since May 2009, I have confidence that I can do a 1:42 or better and have a shot at around 1:40. Big boost for me and a big step up.

Consistency and pacing is key throughout the race and that is my goal going into each race

Mile 1- 7:52
Mile 2- 7:38
Mile 3- 7:42
Mile 4- 7:41
Mile 5- 7:47
Mile 6- 7:12
Mile 7- 7:27
Mile 8- 7:54 (big hill)
Mile 9- 7:19 (average of mile 9 & 10 - I forgot to stop watch after mile 9)
Mile 10- 7:19 (average of mile 9 & 10 - - I forgot to stop watch after mile 9)
Mile 11- 7:29
Mile 12- 7:36
Last 1.1 miles - 7:45 (average pace of 7:03)

My fastest three half marathon times so far: 1:38:20 (Long Branch Half - May 2009); 1:38:44 (Staten Island Half - October 2009); 1:40:14 (Queens Half - September 2009)

2 comments:

runner26 said...

i just saw this--great race!!

JohnnyGo said...

I know what you mean about marathon training. It can get in the way of the natural pace of building your fitness over the long term. It sounds like you managed to do just that. Congrats!