Monday, September 14, 2009

Ocean to Sound Relay - 9/12/09

This past weekend was the Ocean to Sound Relay, starting at Jones Beach and then going for 50 miles or so and ending along the Long Island Sound in Oyster Bay. Relays are always a good time and when some of my Flyer buddies were looking to field a team, I was happy to join in. I did Reach the Beach last year (and Need for Speed the past 2 years prior), but was looking to do a one day relay instead of a weekend affair. This one was close by and relatively easy to get to. Relays are always a good time - they give you a chance to run out of Central Park, the camaraderie and support of your teammates, and a BBQ afterwards doesn't hurt either.

The teams are made up of 8 runners, with each running a leg of approximately 6 miles. Since we only had 7 members, one of us needed to run two legs. Given the fact that I wasn't doing the Flyer 20 miler the next day and I needed to get my long run in anyway, I volunteered to run two consecutive legs for a total of 12 miles. I figured that I could get in more a less a tempo run - a quick pace, but not exactly a race pace for the entire way.

We were all checking the weather during the entire week and unfortunately rain was scheduled on and off for the entire day. The weather was actually quite good for running - overcast, cool, and rain - for most of the race. The rain held out for most of the day except during my legs and the runner after me. I didn't really mind it that much since this is the type of weather that I do my best in and it helped me out a great deal keeping me cool and allowing to stay calm.

The one thing that usually worries me at these relays is pacing. Usually the courses, as seen in past relays, are not marked with mile signs. Therefore, it is hard to figure out how fast to go if you don't know how far you've gone and how far you have to go. Thinking that I would have only my watch as a guide, I was worried that it would be hard to pace myself over 12 miles on my with no one else around, but I was able to run a consistent 8:00 minute pace or less for the entire distance. Given the fact that this race did have mile markers was a huge help to me and allowed me to gauge my pace along the course (not having to just rely on my internal clock) and adjust accordingly if I needed to. The solitude of the later relay legs are usually the toughest part to overcome (second behind the fear of getting lost!). To keep my mind busy during my legs, I had my iPod going and I picked off people in front of me to pass. Once I passed someone on the course, I found someone else in front of me to go after and keep me focused.

I ran 7:48 pace for my first 5.8 mile leg and then a pace of 7:51 for the second leg of 6.2 miles. I felt great during the run and afterwards.

This was a huge boost to me in that I was able to pace myself to a good time and even do the equivalent of about a 1:43-1:44 half marathon, when that wasn't part of my original plan. I have at least 3, maybe 4, more half marathons left this year to build on my pacing and see if I can consistently stay under 1:43 for the half marathon, and feel good doing it. If I can do that then I might be inching towards possibly doing a marathon next year. This was a very good run for me. I have been keeping up a lighter schedule this year (in addition to cross training) after doing a marathon last year and it seems to be working for me. I am able to put up good times for me later in the season while only doing one long run per week of 10-11 miles.

In addition, I think the fact that I have done a lot more races outside of Central Park this year has kept me sane and the runs fresh.

Outside of Central Park races so far in 2009:

Cherry Tree 10 miler - Prospect Park - 2/2009
Long Branch Half Marathon - Long Branch, NJ - 5/2009
Brooklyn Half Marathon - Brooklyn, NY - 5/2009
Riverdale Ramble 10K - Riverdale, NY - 6/2009
Ocean to Sound Relay - Long Island, NY - 9/2009

Planned "outside" races left in 2009: Queens Half, Staten Island Half, Philadelphia Half

2 comments:

runner26 said...

great job!! i didn't know you ran two legs! good luck next week in queens! oh, and looks like i'll be seeing you in philly ;)

Anonymous said...

Fun times! You ran really great. You are still running strong, looks like you are in the groove. You still have some great races left in 2009!