Wednesday, October 29, 2008

More Training - Week of 10/20/08

The schedule called for 40 miles this week, but it was tough to fit in that amount. I ran a hard twenty miles on the Sunday before this week, so I needed to give myself a rest day on Monday. And once I factored in my weights day on Tuesday, it would be a very hard feat to squeeze in 40 miles from Weds-Sunday, especially if my long run for the week was only 13 miles. Not wanting to bite off more than I could chew, I lowered the overall goal for the week from 40 to 35 or 36 miles.

This was a "step down" week anyway, so as long as I got in my long run, I figured that I would be fine. I was on track with my mileage going into the weekend. The Flyers had another "last 10 miles of the marathon" run on Sunday and I joined in. It is a great run and it is always easier running with a group. The problem was squeezing in the additional 3 miles. I went out the night before, but I was still optimistic that I would wake up early and get in the 3 miles beforehand. That wasn't going to happen. Since a bunch of us were going out to brunch after the run, I knew that I was only going to get in a long run of 10 miles. I was a disappointed since I wasn't able to squeeze in the allotted long run for the week, but I don't think the extra three miles would have made much of a difference. I felt great on the 10 mile run, which is all that really matters. I would much rather run a little less during a week that had a "shorter" long run than to skimp out on a 20 miler which is more important. I got in 33 miles for the week, which is still a sizeable amount. A step down week is intended to give your body a little bit of a rest before a harder week, and that is exactly what I did.

I am trying to make sure that I follow the schedule for this week and stay on track. This week is scheduled to be my last 20 miler and I am would like to get in 38 miles and then start to lower the weekly mileage. Less than a month before the Phila marathon - yeah! I am volunteering again this year at the NYC marathon and I'm hoping that it will excite me even more for my upcoming marathon.

Good luck to all the Flyers running this weekend. See you on the course!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the runs and the mileage.

I think helping out at the NYM will help keep you motivated and exciting about philly.

runner26 said...

Thanks for being out there! It was fun to see familiar faces at the P-Gel station! Hope things are going well with your training.