Monday, June 9, 2008

Need for Speed Relay 2008

Well, based on the weather reports we were all seeing for the week prior to the Need for Speed Relay, this year's version would be unlike last year's. The weather was supposed to be hot, almost record heat, and unfortunately the forecasters were right. It was going to be in the low to mid 90s all day long.

I was debating for weeks whether or not I would be doing the relay since I really did not know how I was going to feel when off of the Synthroid for several weeks and the effects of the low iodine diet (especially no salt). I kept up my running (albeit at a more relaxed pace and shorter runs) for the last couple weeks and felt surprisingly fine. Based on that information, I figured that I would not have a problem running the relay, especially since I was running the shortest leg - 2.9 miles. I originally was planning on stepping down from the team but they gave me the option of doing the shortest leg, coupled with the fact that if I were unable to run due to health reasons, someone already on the team would run for me. Even though I did not have the pressure or worry of having to sustain a long leg, the hot weather was worrying me a bit. Besides just the strain the heat puts on a normal runner's body, mine would be in a slightly weaker condition than the others. I thought as long as I play it smart, I would be OK. I made sure to eat and hydrate extensively the night before, and eat bananas, fruit, nuts, and water before and after my leg. I felt I was prepared to run.

I ran the fourth leg this year, a 2.9 mile run through both trails and paved road. This was a big difference from last year which was 6.5 miles, largely on trails with the infamous "wall" in the middle of it. Although I enjoyed my leg last year, I was happy not to have to run an extensive leg in the heat this year.

As I was in the transition area waiting with the rest of the teams, I was getting a bit nervous watching my teammates, all of which are great and experienced runners, having trouble in the heat and conveying how tough it was out there. Although this was a short leg, I made sure to keep on drinking and dousing my body and head with water as long as I could before the handoff. At about 12 o’clock or so, LL came storming into the area and I readied myself to take off. Luckily, he came in about 5 or 10 seconds behind another runner and I was glad that I would have someone to concentrate on during my leg. While I knew it would be difficult to pass him, I made sure to at least keep him in view. Otherwise, I would be all by myself with my own thoughts, which was the last thing I wanted.

I knew it was going to be one of those days when it was tough for me to put together a strong pace, even for the first mile or so. The effort was there, but mentally the conditions were hard to overcome. The first mile or so of the leg was on paved roads through a residential area with limited shade cover. The runner in front of me was getting a little further away but I could still see him. I was passing several walkers, which gave me a slight mental boost (you need small victories wherever they come). All I was hoping to see soon was the sign for the halfway point - once I passed it I knew that I only had to muster another 1.5 miles. No matter how I was feeling, I knew that I could do that (thinking that others had to do three times this amount). Luckily the middle part of the leg offered some help from the trees and a small respite from the sun. As I came out of the trails, a volunteer was waiting with a cup of water (bless her heart) and directing me into an open field with no trees, only direct sunlight. At that point, I checked my watch and crudely figured that I only had about 5-6 minutes left to go and kept telling myself to stay steady and put one foot in front of the other. This would be over soon enough. Luckily, halfway through I heard the cheering of the transition area - this was a beautiful sound. I didn't know where exactly it was coming from, but I knew that the end couldn't be too far away and the struggle would soon end. This gave me the motivation to keep on going and muster a strong finish for my teammates. Once I left the grass and hit the paved road, the cheering of the teams was getting louder and louder and I knew that I was almost there. I saw the smiling and encouraging faces of my teammates and happily handed off to GW.

I felt that I was going at a pretty slow place (9-10 minutes per mile) but according to the results page, I ran my leg in 23:10 (7:59 pace). I was totally surprised by that. However, I really didn't care. As long as I was able to be out there in the race contributing to the team, that is all I wanted. Once again, it is amazing to see the power of the mind. I would guess that nearly everyone out there began their leg worrying about the heat and how their body would react. However, everyone was miraculously still able to finish and finish well. It shows you what you are capable of doing when you just put one foot in front of the other.

Even with all the heat and worry, I was glad that I ran the race. Once again, we had a very cohesive and supportive team that was a lot of fun to be around. Luckily, everyone came out of the heat in one piece and was able to recover nicely.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice race. Way to overcome the challenge of the heat both mentally and physically. Way to listen to your body.

nyflygirl said...

great job-glad you were able to do the race after all...team black would not have been the same without you :)

The Laminator said...

Awesome run dude! I'm glad you were able to come out, run your leg, and not face any consequences from the heat and humidity. Very surprised that you you were able to pull off sub 8 min/miles..that's crazy (now I know that my patients really have no excuse NOT to remain active despite being off Synthroid!)

runner26 said...

So glad you were able to run this year! You seemed in good spirits and looked strong. Well done out there--especially in this heat!

JohnnyGo said...

I could tell by the way you looked coming into the transition that you had rocked your leg. Great job!