Saturday, May 17, 2008

Healthy Kidney 10K - 5/17/08

Overall time of 46:13 and a mile pace of 7:27. This was a two second PR for me in the 10K distance (Scotland 10K in March 2008). This has been a really good running stretch for me over the first quarter/half of 2008. Again, I know these don't last forever so I am glad to ride this a far as it goes.

This was my first race since the corral system was implemented a few weeks ago. Everyone was discussing their bib color on Thursday, but I did not really know yet what the colors meant or how the corral system was set up. When I picked up my number yesterday, I had a red bib and a number of "1596." In addition, the bib had a blue sticker on it - I didn't know what it represented but I would find out later at the race.

In order to try and squeeze in a longer run today, I decided to run an easy 3 miles or so from Engineer's Gate to the start of the race - these three miles plus the race would give me about 9.2 miles plus for the day. It was getting a bit hot during my pre-run but it was a good way to loosen up my legs before the race. I've noticed in the past that I've gotten good race times when I've run 2-4 miles beforehand.

I got to the start of the race with about 10 minutes to spare and made sure to find my correct corral. I saw that there was a 0-999 corral so I figured that I needed to find the next corral, which was probably 1000-1999. Evidently, I would not need to go any further. Once I passed by the 0-999 corral, the person checking people in told me that my blue dot on my bib allowed me to start the race in the first corral. I thought to myself "oh my god", I can't believe that I am going to start a race with the elite and top athletes. I still don't know exactly what the blue dot meant, but I didn't care. It allowed me to begin with the big boys. I figured that this would probably never happen again so I might as well take advantage of it. I looked around and saw some very fast Flyers (PD, JD, JT) and thought to myself "what am I doing here?" but I was going to have fun with it.

I knew that start in the first corral would have its good and bad points. On the good side, I would be able to get out of the gate right away and be able to "ride" the quickness of the faster runners. However, I also knew that if I didn't watch myself I would get sucked into running a fast first mile and potentially tire myself out. Instead of passing people in the beginning as I've done in the past when starting in the middle of the pack, I knew that most of the first and second corral would be passing me and I needed to be disciplined enough not to go any faster. Well, the plan did not exactly go as I had hoped.

When the gun went off, I tried to stay calm and not go out too fast. I was feeling OK during the first mile. Even though I didn't feel like I was going that fast, I knew that it was probably just an illusion and that the quicker people ahead of me were causing me to go faster that I had hoped. I ended up running my fastest first mile ever - a 7:08. I got a little worried at that point that I went out too fast and that I would struggle for the rest of the race. I was able to still get a very fast time for mile 2 (7:18) but I was beginning to tire out a bit and I knew that I still had 4.2 miles to go. From that point on, it was going to be a mental race for me, rather than a physical one. I needed to convince myself to stabilize my pace and slow down a bit or else I would hit the wall and have a very hard and uncomfortable second half of the race. Although I was able to gut out good times for mile 3 and 4 (7:25 and 7:45), I was worried about the fact that my times kept on increasing and I was struggling mentally. This is where you see what you are made of. Sometimes the best races are when you are able to recover well in the middle of a race, rather than just getting a good overall time. I was able to bounce back on mile 5 (7:33) and then pick it up a little bit for the last 1.2 miles (7:31).

I was extremely happy to see that I beat my previous 10K PR from only a month or so ago (Scotland 10K) by two seconds. While the Scotland 10K was a consistent race overall where I felt great throughout and got my first 10K PR in several years, I think I was prouder of this one. I went out way too fast in the beginning (my fault) and had inconsistent mile times, but I was able to recover mid race and run a strong mental race. I could have easily gone in the other direction after the 5K and slow down considerably, but I told myself to keep going and to ride out the rough patches until it got a bit easier. Mental toughness is equally or more important than physical importance in a race.

Mile Splits:
Mile 1 - 7:08
Mile 2 - 7:18
Mile 3 - 7:25
Mile 4 - 7:45
Mile 5 - 7:33
Last 1.2 miles - 9:01 (mile pace - 7:31)
Total Time: 46:13
Avg Pace: 7:27

5 comments:

The Laminator said...

Hey, congrats on your PR! Way to recover during the middle of the race and triumph over the fatigue. Can't wait to run with you on Thursday and congratulate you personally on a job well done.

runner26 said...

Congratulations! Way to score another PR for the collection!

Anonymous said...

Another PR!!! Congratulations! Way to stick it out mentally and push on. Nice job on the run before the race too.

JohnnyGo said...

Nice race! The blue dot must mean "this guy is going to PR today!"

nyflygirl said...

call this PR the blue dot special...haha.

OK that was bad.

Congrats on a great race!! Too bad our boyz in pinstripes could not have put up the same effort later in the day (and yesterday too!)