Sunday, January 20, 2008

Week of 1/14/08

I had another good 10 mile run on Saturday using a similar route as last week (through Central Park to the West Side along 96th, then running down the west side bike trail to 41st street and then back the way I came). I feel as if I have become very comfortable with this distance and I'm able to get in a good rhythm while doing it. No drastic changes in speed, consistent pace, good breathing, and feeling good mentally. A goal of mine was to get to the point where I could "roll out of bed" and be able to run 10 miles relatively easily and I feel that I have gotten there (in large part to my commitment to do a long run each week). The 10 mile threshold was chosen for a couple of reasons: 1) allowing me to be in constant "half marathon shape" - once I was comfortable with that distance I felt as if I would be in a good position to train for/run a half marathon whenever I wanted especially earlier in the year which is much sooner than usual, and 2) by incorporating a weekly 9 or 10 mile run,, it allowed me to keep up at least a 20 mile per week schedule (while only running 3 days per week) which is what most marathon programs recommend as a base. Therefore, if I decide to do a marathon this year, and keep up this schedule throughout the off season, I could jump right into training without having to establish a base first.

Good luck to the Giants tonight!

For the week:
Monday - off
Tuesday - spinning
Wednesday - weights only
Thursday - 5 miles
Friday - off
Saturday - 9.8 miles for an overall time of 1:27:52 total (about an 8:58 pace) - felt good
Sunday - 5.3 miles in the gym - felt really good

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on your runs! I am trying to fit a 10 mile run in each week too for the same reasons. Hope you are able to get some nice runs in this week.

jb24 said...

Thanks d10. I am beginning to really like the 10 mile distance. Good luck with your upcoming runs!

runner26 said...

I am jealous--wish I had run 10 this weekend. Nice job out there!

Anonymous said...

jb24, I also am starting to like the 10. Now that I have trained for a marathon it doesn't seem that far and it really doesn't take that much time out of the day. I just hope I can continue to keep it in my routine.