Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Week

Hopefully everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I was worried that I would skimp out on my exercising this week due to Turkey Day, but I am happy to report that I got in a lot of eating as well as running/gym visits this week. I was even able to squeeze in an 8 mile run on Thursday morning before I met my brother and took the train at Penn Station to see the rest of my family. I wasn't planning on running that long before I left but I wasn't sure how many miles I would be able to get in this week, so I figured as long as I was out there I might as well do it. In addition, the Thursday run was an attempt to kick start my "promise" to myself to try and get in one long run every week (long being 8-10 miles) during the Fall/Winter. The reason being - 1) since I'm only running 3 days per week, I want to try and keep my mileage up to around 20 so I can keep up a consistent base and 2) this way I will not have to start from scratch doing long runs if I want to do a half marathon during the early part of next year, since I will have been running them more or less every week. Well, here is the activity report from the past week:

-Monday - abs / weights
-Tuesday - spinning
-Wednesday - off
-Thursday - 8 miles (68 minutes and change - about an overall 8:30 pace not including the brief couple minute rest stop after the first 4 mile loop)
-Friday - off
-Saturday - chilly day at around 35 degrees - ran the 6 mile loop with no stops for an overall time of 49:13 or around an 8:12 pace - I was pleasantly shocked to see that especially since I was running by myself.
-Sunday - ran 5+ miles consisting of the bridle path to Tavern on the Green and then the roads the rest of the way around Central Park back to Engineer's Gate

3 comments:

brunettechicagogal said...

I miss running in the park! I don't miss the hills, though. Nice work at staying active. Wish I could say the same. I'm averaging two days a week running and two at the gym. I'd like that to be more like 3 and 3.

Trakmaniak said...

Hmm...3 days huh? What's the trick in that? I'm going to join you in the month ahead. Try that whole 20 miles a week deal...winter is coming and well we all wonder..."why do we race on Saturday mornings? - in the cold?"

runner26 said...

I am with you on the not starting from scratch thing. I'm trying to build up my long runs--slowly. But it's good to just have that ability to just run a little longer. Makes the fives and sixers seems a lot easier.
Nice job over the holiday weekend!