Sunday, August 5, 2007

Nike Half Marathon - 8/5/07

This one was definitely a struggle for me - probably the worst I have felt in a race in a very long time. Although I am not training for a marathon this year, I was putting in the long runs and was hoping for a good race. Training was going well up until a couple of weeks ago when my glutes starting to bother me and I was just feeling "off" - not sure it was due to the weather or what but I was getting a little nervous going into the half. The race started right at 7:00 and we were off. I was feeling pretty good at the start of the race, but I realized only a few miles in that I was going way too fast. Pacing is something that I definitely need to work on. I've gone out too fast in the beginning and then struggled during three of my last four long races - the Runner's World Half in April 2006, the NYC Marathon in Nov 2006 and the Nike Half this weekend. I can usually tell after a few miles if I am going to have a good race or not and I knew early that it was probably not going to end well for me. I was trying to slow down in the Park but unfortunately I kept up my quick pace. I was hoping that I would settle down after I left the Park and went onto 7th Ave but it was at the point that I was starting to struggle a bit. By the 7th or 8th mile I was hitting every fluid station which is not a good sign. As we made the left turn on the West Side Trail, I just kept on telling myself to hang on for the rest of the race . For the first time, I found myself walking on a few occasions as the fluid stops came up and for 20 or 30 seconds afterward. Somehow I told myself that I had to finish - this is where your mental strength starts to get tested. It's incredible what you can convince your body to do even when it is feeling strained. I was glad that I was able to realize early on that it was going to be a hard day and was able to convince myself to scale back and try again another day. The finish line was a glorious sight. My race was finally over. Considering how I felt during the race, I was quite happy with my time of 1:52:03. My fast first half gave a me a good cushion for my struggles in the second half. It was great to see all of the Flyer volunteers handing out the medals at the finish line. Once I got my goody bag, water and Gatorade I was able to relax and swap stories with JW, AH, JM and NMc. Hats off to the all of the Flyers who had a great race. I'm going to take it easy for a few days and let my body rest up and hopefully the memory of the second half of this race will start to fade away.

2 comments:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Just picked up your race report. Good job. Sometimes just finishing well is more important that finishing fast.

The Laminator said...

Stumbled on your running blog. Nice race report. Great job hanging on to finish strong. Like you, I too struggle a lot with pacing in races. Hope you rest well and good luck in future races!